We caught a ferry ride this morning from Point Defiance in Tacoma to "the heart of Puget Sound", Vashon Island.
The day was drab and cold, but we were excited to find out that Orcas were expected to arrive. The locals were enthusiastically waiting at the beach with binoculars and telescopic lenses. They were friendly and welcomed us to wait with them, which we did.
It was freezing, but we waited anyway, chatting with the town folk and hearing tales of whale visits from the past.
We did see a couple sea lions..
Then the sad news reached us on the beach. The whales had taken another route and were not going to swim by us. We gathered ourselves and said goodbye. Someone kindly said, "It was nice meeting you! Sorry we didn't deliver!" I smiled, waved, and said, "That's okay! They're wild whales, keep them wild! If we wanted trained ones we'd have gone to Sea world."
Through my life and travels I have met some wonderful people and formed deep bonds, no matter how brief our interaction was. Our time spent with the locals today started off well, but because of wind and other circumstances, all they heard me say when leaving was a variation of, "we'll go to Sea World" Apparently, after I mumbled my fair well and turned to leave, I created behind me a wake of hurt feelings and judgement, which Ashley later reprimanded me for, saying, "that probably wasn't the best thing to say to those people. They live for those whales." She explained what everyone on the beach misheard me say, and described their pained expressions.
Oh geez, I just can't seem to stay out of trouble..
Just for the record I love whales and Vashon and I've never been to Sea World.
After lunch on the island we headed up to Seattle for one last brief stop at the market.
We pushed through the traffic and made it back to Puyallup. We had a fire, watched Duck Dynasty, made dinner, and Ashley packed up.
Tomorrow she leaves, and tomorrow is a week before I leave for Christmas :)
Let's hope I don't get into any trouble or upset whole islands of people before then..
No comments:
Post a Comment