Monday, December 3, 2012

therapy

"How are you feeling?" Matt asked me when I stopped next to him, half way down the slope.  The wheezes associated with my rapid breathing answered for me before I could even get the words out, "I'm feeling pretty weak." "Yeah, that's why I asked. You look like it."


It sounds mean, but it wasn't. That conversation made us laugh, and made me grateful that I ski with people far more capable than myself, who look out for me (even if that means pointing out when you're struggling).

Even though I had gone to Crystal on Monday, I was not prepared for the exhilarating physical torment of skiing Saturday with Matt and his friend. The resort had gotten 7" of fresh snow the night before, and we arrived to dynamite exploding, as the patrol tested for avalanche danger. The snow was deep and fresh, and my weak legs and lungs pounded hard to keep up with two army guys chasing the steep and untouched powder.


It was an amazing day. The conditions were incredible. As soon as we got on the lift that morning the guys decided we had to start off with a crazy run, so we hiked up to a peak and skied down fresh chutes, making the first tracks.  My first turn of the day was over a crater left by dynamite that had set off a cascade of snow probably 30 minutes before.


This picture of our first run was taken in the afternoon after much abuse from skiers and boarders throughout the day. We started at the top and each of us took our own line and met somewhere beyond the frame of this image.

There's a fine line between boldness and anxiety when skiing stuff like this.  I started bravely, but rapidly gave into fear when I heard Matt exclaim, "this is really steep."  If Matt is taken aback by it, then it must be bad. Luckily though I made it down and we continued on with our day.  I'm pretty sure, if not for me requiring frequent stops to collect myself and catch my breath, these guys could've banged out a ton more runs.

Matt blasting through the powder


 But they stayed with me and picked me up after I sat out a run inside the lodge. I rejoined them just in time for me to catch and film Matt untangle himself after a fall.


Skiing, being outside, being with family, enjoying activities like these is such a gift.  Lately my job has been quite a burden and I feel myself carrying the weight and stress of the work day into my time off. I'm so happy to be on the mountain again.  The challenge and fatigue that comes with a hard day of skiing is rewarding and rejuvenates my spirit.


While assisting a patient in a transfer today, I used a technique in which supporting the other person's weight puts you in a variation of a hug. Mid transfer, we found ourselves face to face, when that sweet old lady looked me square in the eye and without covering her mouth, began coughing. For three straight minutes. While she blasted her pneumonia into my eyes, nose, and mouth, I simple turned away from her, closed my eyes, and pictured powder chutes, untracked lines through glades, and cold air that freezes my lungs and makes my heart beat faster.



Imagery as a relaxation technique truly does work.


Friday, I got to partake in retail therapy with Cyndi, as we explored The Puyallup Fairground's Victorian Country Christmas.



can you spot our reflection??





















Speaking of Christmas, it's in 22 days.
Speaking of therapy, I'll be home in 16 days.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment