Sunday, November 6, 2011

Banana Brick and the Brown Canyon

The other day I made Banana Bread. However, due to a battle I have been dealing with for 23 years and  what will probably be a life long issue - I'm terrible at making bread.  It always resembles a flavored brick.  Ashley said, "it wasn't that bad" but I think that's because she smothered it in cream cheese.  Even when I use a bread making machine I am unsuccessful. Is this something I will have to just accept and always rely on SaraLee and Arnold to compensate for my short comings? Anyone have tricks or tips to reverse this domestic inadequacy?

After church today I went for a hike that I had found.  It was off of Brown Canyon Rd in Browns Creek Park, which is not far from my apt.

Browns Canyon in the distance..

The website gave clear directions about driving and parking to the trail head.  I followed them and found myself in front of a sign for a Conservation Park, just like the website said..

This park was completely empty.  I couldn't hear highway noise, people, industry, nothing.  Just birds and wind.





It was quite peaceful, except for this strange feeling I had - that I shouldn't be there.  This bizarre discomfort that had me questioning the whole time whether or not I should turn back.

In nursing, they always tell you to go with your gut, even if you could be wrong.  In the little experience I've had, my  "something isn't right" feeling has helped to discover a patient having a heart attack, a patient developing drug toxicity, onset of delirium, a patient's brain bleed getting worse, and a few other things.  I had hiked for about 20 or so minutes when I finally decided that this feeling shouldn't be ignored, and I turned around.

Then I decided to start running.. don't know why, but running seemed like a good idea.


Then this sound started low, but grew rapidly. I turned around and saw a helicopter coming towards me.  After passing over me, I saw it turn sharp and dove down and round back towards me.  It was so loud and so close the wind was blowing my hair. I thought it was going to land right next to me. Needless to say I kept on running.  I couldn't read what the helicopter was labelled, but it was white and red with black writing.  It circled me again, a little higher this time, then sped off deeper into the canyon.

I have no idea what that was all about, or if I really needed to run out of the park.. but it was quite strange.. and I don't think I will go back..

3 comments:

  1. always trust your instincts. absolutely, whatever they may be telling you. but i wonder what the helicopter was for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. its because you dont measure properly. i'll bring you some work sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pretty much fool proof banana bread recipe that you'll love! I'll try to remember to bring it to school tomorrow to send you. : )

    ReplyDelete