Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Seattle

While I could narrate these pictures from my visit to Seattle on Monday, I think I will save you all from the boredom of reading, "I walked around", because that's essentially what I did. Instead I will display pictures of my trip with commentary as necessary. 






Pike Place Market 


Pleasantly chaotic market full of vendors, fresh produce, fish smells, flowers, art, music and so much more.


Antique Shop.
















 






I would have love to spend more time in this area. It is a square park that is full of historical plaques and totem poles. However, it is also riddled with homeless people.  Not the ones that sleep and don't bother you, but the kind that mutter, shout at you, shuffle around in large packs, and build nests around benches and corners.  




My experiences these past few days have been similar to what you are receiving via pictures; walking glimpses of the city.  I didn't have much time and wanted to simply highlight a few aspects of each area.  Despite the horrendous traffic getting into Seattle, I was ahead of my loosely made schedule.  While in the library, which is an incredible building btw, I noticed people filing in to the auditorium.  They were settling in to hear short stories read aloud.  The crowd was a variety, young and old, of people who apparently had 45min to kill, and would spend it with story time. So I joined them. 


The gentleman sitting at the small table is a librarian in Seattle, and read to us 2 short stories.  They kept my attention, but I think a lot of that had to do with his reading style. He did voices and had inflection and a cadence that made listening enjoyable and easy to become absorbed into the story. 



It was so much fun to walk around and be in a city like that for a few hours.  It reminded me a lot of NYC.  There is a fervor and a vibe in metropolitan areas that I really enjoy. I love the contrast of the old buildings and modern architecture. The fashion and bold styles people wear.  The unique restaurants, cafes, and shops.  The apartment buildings stacked above store fronts. The history. Men in business suits. Hipsters. Latch key kids. Different cultures colliding. 


It was too overcast for the Space Needle, so I found my way back to my car, paid the astronomical parking fee, and continued North. 

No comments:

Post a Comment