Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How it all started..

May 2010 I graduated from IUP with a Bachellor's degree in Nursing.  During my senior year of college, I found some clinical journals by Oliver Sacks, a Neurologist, which inspired me toward Neuro. This lead to an opportunity I had to be a student in the Neuro ICU at UPMC Presbyterian, which as fate would have it, lead to employment.


From Pittsburgh..
..to Los Angeles.

















June 2010 I started working at UPMC in the Neuro ICU.  Destiny took it's turn again, and during orientation I met Ashley Hennemeuth, a Robert Morris grad and Pittsburgh native.  We made each other laugh and enjoy the drudgery of hours of class and lecture.  One of our first encounters was after I discovered that my salad dressing I packed for lunch leaked all through my bag and onto my papers.

Fast forward through 13 months of working together, i.e. fixing brains and wiping bums, one night, Ashley sent me a quick text informing me that she had applied for a job in travel nursing, and I was going to do it too.  After short discussion and some uncertainty on my part, I decided to apply, "just to see what would happen".  A few days later, Ashley was contacted by a Nurse recruiter for American Mobile Healthcare , who had received our information and was interested in learning more about us.

Soon enough, after a few interviews and were offered jobs with a Kaiser Permanente hospital in Woodland Hills. It's a small hospital in an area just northwest of Los Angeles, CA. We'll be working in a 22 bed ICU.

And here we are..two months later, battling labile emotions and cardboard boxes.  Neither Ashley or I have ventured far from the East Coast, so this will be big change for us, especially before the holidays.  But we're both so excited about this opportunity. I can't wait to see what's in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment